Thursday, May 20, 2004

A beginning

Ah! Dancing! I woke up one morning, went to a dance performance and decided that I wanted to learn Bharata Natyam again. Don’t know what mental state I was in to take that decision cause I was in my early thirties and 20 kgs overweight (I was underweight before that) and was in no condition to move either my legs or my entire body. Despite a disastrous first day where my guru asked me to jump high in the air and I came down very unceremoniously flat on the ground (it shook I think), I stuck to it and today it’s three years since and I am glad I decided to go for it.

People often asked me why did I take such a drastic step knowing that I earned a five-figure salary and had a pretty glamourous job of interviewing film personalities and to give it up was stupid. My sister also told me that I should have taken photography, as that was more glamorous to explain to her friends when they asked about me instead of “oh she dances”. So was it because I wanted to become a performer or was it because I wanted to open a class and earn some money sitting at home. I simply told them because it made me happy. Happy as nothing ever did. Not my job, not people, jewellery, clothes, perfumes or money, it was just dancing that put me in a great place.

Today I dance with 15 other girls ranging between ages 18 and 21, who have great energy levels and who keep me on my toes, literally. But does it discourage me? No way. In fact I feel quite blessed to be among such talented dancers who inspire me constantly.

Now everybody invariably ask me what next? What next? Just the moment for me of dancing and learning the fine details about this art form. Of knowing that this has opened new avenues for me academically. And feeling happy that I went back to college again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go. :-)

Try ballroom too -- that's fun, I guarentee.